(I want to apologize to those who received this post via email when it had the typo “sneak peak” in the headline. This is what a lack of sleep while finishing a book does to a person. Please forgive my inadvertent reference to a mountaintop in the original title!)
Things have been quiet the last few weeks on the blog because I’ve been working every spare second on finishing my book, which is due to the publisher on April 1. I’m in the home stretch, but still have a good chunk to write. It’s 256 pages and 40 chapters (about 6 pages each), so it’s been quite the project!
I’m hoping to get a couple of posts up this month, but in case that doesn’t happen, please bear with me. Once the book gets turned in, I’ll be back to my regular weekly posting activity.
In case you’re new to my blog or you missed the original announcement, the book is called Keeping Your Kids on God’s Side: 40 Conversations to Help Them Build a Lasting Faith. It’s being published by Harvest House and will come out in February 2016 (a lot happens between the time you turn in the content and when it’s actually published).
Today I want to give you a sneak peek at what you can look forward to! Here’s what I’ve packed into 256 pages, written specifically for parents:
Part 1: Conversations About God
1. What evidence is there for God’s existence?
2. How could a good God allow evil and suffering?
3. Why would God command the death of so many people in the Bible?
4. How can a loving God send people to hell?
5. How can God judge people who have never even heard about Jesus?
6. Why would God need people to worship Him?
7. Why is God so hidden?
8. Is faith in God the opposite of reason?
Part 2: Conversations About Truth and Worldviews
9. What is the difference between absolute and relative truth?
10. Do all religions point to the same truth?
11. How can Christians claim they know what is absolutely true?
12. How can personal experience help determine what is true?
13. How can common sense help determine what is true?
14. If Christianity is true, why are there so many denominations?
15. Is Christianity responsible for millions of deaths in history?
16. Are Christians less intelligent than atheists?
Part 3: Conversations About Jesus
17. How do we know Jesus existed?
18. Did Jesus really claim to be God?
19. Did Jesus’ followers really believe He was God?
20. Why did Jesus need to die on the cross for our sins?
21. What are the historical facts of the resurrection that nearly every scholar agrees on?
22. What are the major theories people use to explain those facts?
23. Why do Christians believe a supernatural resurrection best explains the facts?
24. How can Christians believe miracles are even possible?
Part 4: Conversations About the Bible
25. How were the books in the Bible selected?
26. Why were books left out of the Bible?
27. How do we know we can trust the Bible’s authors?
28. How do we know the Bible we have today says what the authors originally wrote?
29. Does the Bible have errors and contradictions?
30. Does the Bible support slavery?
31. Does the Bible support rape?
32. Does the Bible support human sacrifice?
Part 5: Conversations About Science
33. Why do Christians have varying views on how and when God created the world?
34. What is Young Earth Creationism?
35. How do mainstream scientists estimate the age of the earth?
36. What is Old Earth Creationism?
37. What is evolution?
38. What are the major pieces of evidence for evolution?
39. What are the major challenges to evolution?
40. What is Intelligent Design?
So that’s what’s been keeping me busy! I’d love to hear what you think.
I’ll also be working on marketing plans soon. If you happen to have a marketing idea that you think would work well for this book, please share in the comments!